-->

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Guest Speaker: Michelle Gressel

BIO: Loving mother and wife, expert connector and community activist, Michelle believes in the power of spirit and the blessings of laughter. Approaching life with equal does of optimism and realism, Michelle inspires through action and shines most when helping others.
Michelle's Courage Statement - Courage to be Beautiful and Content with the canvas that God gave me.
The word beautiful is rife with expectations, isn't it? I'd venture to guess that the majority of us equate beautiful with appearance; why else would our mentoring generations frequently use the phrase 'beauty is only skin deep'?
My own personal journey through beautiful has been marked by thyroid disease, which caused fluctuations in my weight. During my heaviest times, I FELT how people would rely on their superficial perceptions of me based solely on my size. Even without knowing me, they determined my beauty through a filter of dimensions that had absolutely nothing to do with who I am as a person. But anyone who knows me knows that over the years I've cultivated the courage to be beautiful in layers. I consciously take my ordinary, average canvas and create extraordinary things.
Contentment is another word that is deceptive on the surface. Some might think it's synonymous with complacent; they are wrong. Contentment means that I am at peace with myself, that I have the courage to be pleased with the gifts and the package that God has given me rather than worrying about what "the Jones'" might have. 1Timothy 6:6 says "But godliness with contentment is great gain"; knowing there is truth in the word gives us assurance that we shall all be set from the bondage of seeking perfection.
Much lip service is paid today to the concepts of 'balance' and 'having it all.' I, respectfully, disagree. I believe more in the concept of pieces, because my daily life is a symphony of them. There are pieces I give to others, pieces I grip for myself, pieces I share and pieces I squander. There are pieces of work, play, love, sadness, hurt, rapture and pleasure. What we see, if we are mindful enough to pay attention, is that the pieces all blend together without any true delineation of who or what they represent; they simply form the story of ME. I declare this OUR time, time to recreate our canvases by rearranging those pieces of our lives. It is time to claim the beauty that has been lost in the pieces and rediscover our worth.
 
Name:  Michelle Gressel
Family Stats:  Married to Brian Gressel and Mother of 3 Children (Jacob 13, Chloe 8, and Luke 4)
Spiritual Gifts:  Pastor/Shepard, Showing Mercy, and LOVING people OUT LOUD.
Spiritual Pathways:  I believe in recognizing the most simple of things that God has provided and seeing the beauty in them.  I also love amazing worship music that speaks to my heart!!!
Passions:  Performing random acts of kindness in unlikely situations.
Pet Peeves:  People chewing with their mouth open, selfishness, and people that don’t follow through with their word
Secret Shames:  A super soft place in my heart for a man in uniform with flashing lights (that is why I married one).
Book that I love:  The Gifts of Imperfection by Dr. Brene’ Brown
Can’t live without:  Diet Dr. Pepper, Young and the Restless and great glass of Blueberry Wine
Favorite room in the house:  I love them all if…they are picked up and have some awesome music in them.
Favorite tradition:  Sitting at the dinner table every meal
Michelle's Gallery: