-->

Monday, December 3, 2012

Turning Toward Your Spouse



The most recent focus for Couple’s Home Improvement taught us about turning toward our spouse.  As we continue to work through “The 7 Principles for Making a Marriage Work” by John Gottman, I am convicted more and more how these principles are vital to any of our important relationships, including our relationship with our heavenly Father.

I hear many of us experienced a family Thanksgiving gathering with some ruffling of feathers to varying degrees. Unfortunately, these experiences have become too much the norm.  As we march on through this season I think we need to prepare ourselves and try to bring peace into these circumstances.

A great term has been passed on to me and when put to use, has allowed me to be peace in many situations in which I would be anything but!  Proactive Reactivity.  Read that again.  Proactive Reactivity.  Basically, it’s where we decide NOW how we will react WHEN a certain situation arises.  When my teenager releases a deep sigh and shuffles off to clean his room, when my 7 year old asks me for the 101st time for something, when I pull in the drive and notice we are the only house on the block with out our Christmas lights up.  Our application for this season might be when your cousin, or your sister-in-law, or your own mother brings up THAT subject or speaks disrespectfully, etc. 

Let’s decide to turn towards our loved one by praying about our response now.  Ask God to arm you with a response that will let them experience the acceptance, grace, and love of Jesus through you.

My hope and prayer for us all is that we can turn toward those that are important to us and practice being peace in this sometimes stressful, but joyous season.

Nanette Haskin