-->

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Kindness

And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ
Philemon 1:6 (NLT)

Yesterday I was talking to our neighbor. She had stopped by and mentioned she was a having a rough week – and my mom had called (we are also having an emotionally charged week) and in my moment of selfishness I excused myself and answered because I had been trying to get ahold of her all day. 

It took a solid few hours for me to realize I had just completely prioritized my family’s drama above another’s need to be heard. 

Since I had just SO completely failed in compassion I decided to pick her up some flowers at Target just to say “hey, I heard you and I pray your week improves” (since my actions clearly said I did not care, even though I do)!

Funny thing (and the whole point of this post for those I’m beginning to lose)…I felt so awkward walking the flowers across the street. I should mention we just moved into our house last November, and we are on very friendly terms with our neighbor, but are by no means super close (yet). And I felt like a silly little girl walking with my flowers! It struck me as sad that I am so unaccustomed to doing random acts of kindness that it was extremely awkward to perform. 

I was worried about how I would look when, once again, this had nothing to do with me! Thank goodness Jesus stepped in and whispered:

Never feel foolish to show love.

That phrase has been on repeat in my head ever since.  Never feel foolish to show love. 

After much prayer and reflection I’ve decided that kindness needs to ooze out of me a little more freely. Don’t get me wrong, I love kindness and have all these ideas of how to be kind. But I get all up in my head and worry about what others will think about me if I do them! (typing that I realize how incredibly stupid and vain I sound)

But I am task oriented. I make lists, I have goals, and I take steps to reach them. So, until it’s habitual, every month I am sending a random box of kindness to whoever God puts in my heart. I must learn to listen to His nudges (so if I randomly ask for your address don’t be afraid).

This life isn’t about me, and showing love isn’t about me. Being kind isn’t about me. It is ALL about listening to God. Doing the nudges, because all good things are from God…so that means every good and kind idea comes from God, right?!  So what are we waiting for?! 

~Never feel foolish to show love~
- Jessi

Every generous act of giving and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father who made the heavenly lights, in whom there is no inconsistency or shifting shadow

James 1:17 (ISV)