-->

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Be Still

I feel the Holy Spirit most when I am outside breathing in the surroundings of nature, assuming the bugs aren’t biting too badly of course.

On this particular day I was wandering around familiar woods by a lake house I have visited since I was a teenager, camera in hand, as always. And by camera, I mean my phone.
I walked and prayed. Prayed and walked. Nothing in particular, really. Kind of the usual. Some gratitude. Some help for others in need. And a plea for God to really speak to me in some over the top, Hollywood way, where Morgan Freeman’s voice echoes through the woods.
I sit. Waiting. Nothing. Still nothing. Still sitting. Still. Perfectly Still.



“Be still and know that I am God”—Psalms 46:10

And I see it. It’s subtle, but its there. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. It’s no booming voice. It’s not a clear message. There’s room for interpretation. Maybe it was a combination of the setting sun and the reflection of the water, but I was mesmerized by these twisted, wrapping branches. I started taking some pictures of it and felt its importance to my day. God knew I would understand best through my camera (phone) lens.


I can relate to the tangles of these branches. I’m in a busy season of life. Geez, maybe they’re all busy seasons. It’s easy to lose myself in all of this adulting. I’m doing my best each day to be a fun wife, teach a classroom of kids, and raise 3 humans of my own. I try to squeeze in time with family and friends. Hobbies are sporadic and dreams seem distant. And I am always too tired for laundry mountain.

In this moment of stillness,
In this moment of nature.
In a click of the lens,


I heard a simple message. Wrap tightly around what makes you stronger.
What makes you stronger? What can you let go? Who or what are you holding onto? Do you need to let anything go? How are your tangles? Are you wrapping yourself around the love of Jesus? Are you allowing Him to wrap his arms around your life as you grow?

Much love, Shelisa Welde