-->

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Think On It Thursday

A New Song

I grew up in church.  Ever since I was a little girl I have heard the words,
“God loves you.” 
I sang all the words to the songs they taught, believing it was true.

“Jesus loves me. This I know.  For the bible tells me so…”

You may even know these lyrics yourself.  Somewhere along the way, however, they became too familiar, almost elementary. 
For me, the words lost their meaning and became
regular, normal…ordinary.

I need to hear a new song.  I need to hear a new tune in the moments I feel alone, exhausted, overwhelmed and defeated.  I am on a journey to discover God for myself. 
I want to know what He says.  I am searching the Scripture.
 As I do, I am beginning to discover He has written a song for me. 
When I read the Bible, the melody begins and I hear these words…

My dear one, I know you.  I know what you treasure.  I know your triumphs.  I know your fears.  I know your failures.  I know what your heart aches for.  I know what brings a smile to your face and what makes your heart beat faster.  I know every tiny detail about you.  I created you.  I delight in you.  I love you, not the woman you are trying to be, but the woman you really are.  I have been calling out your name since the moment you took your first breath.  I have been displaying my love for you in every sunset, every snow capped mountain and every starry night.  As every wave crashes the shore I whisper to you, I love you.  I love you.  I will fight for you.  I will level mountains for you.  I will break through gates of iron and give you treasures so you will know who I am and that
I am calling you by name.

Take a few minutes to read some things he has written for you.

“I have loved you with an everlasting love.”
Jeremiah 31:3

“I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron.  I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.”  Isaiah 45:2-3

The Bible also says:

“O LORD, you have searched me and you know me…you are familiar with all my ways…You have laid your hand upon me...You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.”  Psalm 139:13-17

 “May your unfailing love be my comfort.”
Psalm 119:76

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!”
I John 3:1

“The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah 3:17
  
There is nothing normal about the way God loves me.  There is nothing ordinary about the way He loves you.  It is a love He is fighting to show you.  It is a most extraordinary love.  It is almost… unbelievable.  But it is true.  It’s real.  And He would love to show you in every ordinary moment of your life.  You just have to invite him in.

He loves you, dear one. 
He loves you
  
Spend some time praying today.  Ask him to help you believe it. 

-written by Rachel McKenna