-->

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Think On It Thursday

Joy

It’s a Christmas season favorite. It brings to mind emotions of well-being, success or good fortune. We consider it a close relative to happiness and contentment.
But what does Jesus intend for us to know about joy? Is there more to joy than our Earthly associations let on? Is there more to it than the fleeting emotions and sensations that pass through a moment?

A couple of months ago I made it my personal challenge to find joy in every moment and all things. It started off as one of those lofty, yet oversimplified goals that don’t seem to materialize into anything significant. However, the more I looked into Jesus’ purpose for joy and what the Bible has to say about how we experience joy, the deeper I wanted to know His joy and not the watered down version that the world so often offers. Since then, God, who loves to reveal Himself to a searching soul, has plucked me out of my comfort zone and is teaching me about the joy He intends for each one of us to know; His abounding, contagious, ever-present, unshakeable joy. It goes beyond any circumstance or emotion with roots planted in the deepest parts of our beings where the temporary fades into the eternal and we see our ultimate need for a savior, our ultimate source of joy.

“Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place.”
1 Chronicles 16:27
“You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” Psalm 16:11
“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.” Psalm 94:19

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
John 15:11

“You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.”
Acts 2:27-29

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23
By the work of the Holy Spirit in us we start to produce His fruits, His joy. God can turn a simple challenge into a changed mind and heart, bringing about joy in unexpected moments. He’s doing that in my life and he wants to do it in yours. Thought by thought, stresses get pierced with peace, anxiety smoothed out with assurance, entitlement replaced with gratitude, pride takes a dose of humility and joy abounds!

~Jena Meyerpeter