-->

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Think on it Thursday

Do Not Be Afraid

Fear often battles for my attention. There are moments I know fear is knocking at my door, waiting for me to open it a crack so it can pour its way into my mind, drowning out hope. Unfortunately, there are times I open that door and listen to the lies that fear whispers to me.

I know they are lies, because I have a stronger Voice in my life. When I feel burdened with fear I open my Bible. There, in God’s words, I find something stronger than fear. I find he offers me three things bound together creating a cord that cannot be broken...faith, love and hope.

He reminds me that faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1). He says to trust Him with all my heart and to not rely on my own understanding (Philippians 4:6). My understanding can create space for fear.
But God is bigger than our reality. He knows our journey and what every day will look like before it comes to be (Psalm 139:16). He knows the pain and hardships we will face.
With this knowledge he still tells us,
“Do not be afraid”.

God did not give us a spirit of fear. This certainly doesn’t mean we won’t encounter adversity, troubles and tragedy. In fact, he promises that this life will have pain and suffering. However, He also promises that we will not walk through it alone. He will carry us. We are not forgotten. Our God is fighting battles for us, and the victory is already His. He calls us by name and his thoughts of us outnumber the grains of the sand. His love for us can overcome our fear. He wants us to believe it, to believe in Him.

This morning I went to a funeral, to say goodbye to a dear friend. Though my heart breaks for the daughters he leaves behind, I am certain of one thing. God has prepared them for this. He is standing firm in the center of their shaken ground. He will not abandon them. He has them wrapped up in his loving arms and he will carry them through this great loss. He has given them a hope beyond measure, hope that sustains them until the promise they have received from Jesus reunites them with their Father again. And Jesus tells them,
“Do not be afraid”.

He tells me the same thing. When the trials that I face create doubt in my mind, I will not allow fear to have control over my thoughts. It is in those moments that I will remember the promises given to me in God’s word, promises of strength, peace, comfort and victory. I will consider myself fasting from fear. I will no longer open the door when I hear fear knocking.

God, my faith is in you. My hope is in you. I love you because of the love you have poured into me. Create in me a cord that cannot be broken, one of faith, hope and love. Amen.

“For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and love and sound mind.” Timothy 1:7

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

“The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.” Psalm 118:7

“But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31

~written by Rachel McKenna