-->

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Think on it Thursday

Good Intentions

It’s a Mary and Martha time of year. The season to fill our schedules and lives so full of “worthy” tasks that we often miss out on the most important aspect of the Christmas season. Maybe you’re experiencing the numbness that so often comes from a schedule so full of to-do’s that you can’t find time to reflect on Who it’s all for.
“But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.” (Luke 10:40)
Remove the name Martha from that sentence. Does your name also fit into that role? Mine sure does. However, my heart longs to be a Mary and therein lies the problem. In the midst of every wonderful party, shopping trip, and wrapped gift I find my heart and mind not feeling satisfied. That discontentment steals away the peace and joy we are meant to have in celebrating our Savior. The world tells me I’ll be happier with more, better, busier. However, my Spirit-filled heart says true Joy only comes from One source. The simplicity of that reality seems ironic to our complex lives. I love how Jesus comes right to heart level as He explained this simplicity to Martha and also to the Samaritan woman at the well.

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (John 10:41, 42)

To the Samaritan woman at the well Jesus said, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4: 13, 14)

It’s the simple, singular reality of a God who loves you enough to not leave you satisfied with the temporary. Once your mind and heart settle on that truth, the peace that comes from a cup overflowing with God’s eternal mercies will spill out into all aspects of your life, not only during this special season, but all year long.

God, it’s hard for me to see through my own good intentions and desires. They fail me so often, yet I trust them so readily. Make your desires my own. I admit that when I fill up my calendar with this and that, there are many times I don’t see you in it. Forgive my pride, God. Show me how I can surrender each day to you and sit my heart at your feet and drink from your eternal waters. I ask these things in the name of Jesus, amen.
Jena Meyerpeter