-->

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Think On It Thursday


It has been days since I saw them together, yet my mind has wandered back to them dozens of times.  It was within a glance that I saw them there, one wearing dainty white gloves, and the other a special and beautiful pin on the lapel of her coat.  They crossed their low heels at the ankles and giggled like young girls as they sat close with their arms looped through one another’s.  The genuine joy on their faces belied their ages which I imagine to have been somewhere in the neighborhood between seventy and eighty. The two ladies (which is exactly what they were) were on an outing to Target together and had stopped in customer service near the exit to rest on a bench before heading home.  They were in no hurry and seemed to be simply enjoying the other’s company as they chatted and laughed. 

Driving home, my mind wandered to the two women.  How long had they been friends? How did their friendship begin?  Did they have husbands? Were their husbands still alive? Did they live in their own home or did they live in an assisted living residence somewhere nearby? I wondered what kept them close. Common life stage? Mutual friends? Geography? A long shared history?   Thinking about those two women on the drive home reminded me how thankful I am to be a woman as well as how grateful I am for all of the amazing women God has put into my life...especially recently.

The Mother’s Together community of women has truly touched my heart over this past year.  I remember my first Wednesday morning last September.  I barely arrived on time and felt a huge sense of relief when I finally located my table among the crowd.  While I recognized a few faces around the room, I still was not sure about myself or my place in this giant group of professional moms.  I felt like everyone knew what they were doing with their children except me.  I felt like everyone looked cute and put together except me.  I felt like everyone had something interesting they were doing to inspire their kids except me.  However, as I opened my heart to God and got past myself and my own pile of motherhood induced insecurities, I realized that this amazing gathering of women was not only welcoming but also authentic in their own struggles and accepting and loving toward me with mine.   

I have found comfort, friendship, humor, inspiration, challenge, support and fun alongside these dear faces I see each Wednesday morning.  I look forward to the smiles, the hugs and the sense of community where I not only feel I have something to contribute, but that I am continually blessed by as well.  I adore how God works like that; just when you think you have to figure things out yourself and go it alone, he sends some friends into your life to help out and encourage you along the way.  I love the idea that no matter our life stage, (even when we ourselves are older, and hopefully lively old ladies), He will still be filling that need in our hearts for genuine community by sending us girlfriends to walk alongside us on the journey to hold our hands and our hearts....and who knows, maybe even make a Target run or two. 

                                 - Sarah Leimer