-->

Friday, September 21, 2012

Real Food

I have been inspired recently to take a closer look at the labels of some of my favorite foods in our refrigerator and pantry. Recently on Facebook, I came across a web-site that started this whole inspiration for me called “100 Days of Real Food”.  My eyes were opened and I was blown away by the ingredients that were in some of my favorite items AND by the ingredients that were not. 


The first thing that caught my attention was my coffee creamer label. I love my morning coffee!  It is often the lure of a cup of coffee that pulls me out of my comfy bed each morning.  Now that Fall is approaching, my favorite flavor of creamer is Pumpkin Spice. Every year I get waaaaay too excited over Pumpkin Spice flavored coffee creamer.  It is a seasonal item, so after the holidays it is nowhere to be found.  I must admit I usually stock my refrigerator with bottles of this creamer to last me well beyond the holiday season.   A couple weeks ago, I took a look at the ingredients in my beloved creamer—water, sugar, corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated oil… “No milk or cream at all…wait, what did that say? No milk ingredients??? What am I drinking???” And so began the hunt to make my own Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer.  Whenever I don’t know the answer to something I turn to my dear friend Google. I found multiple websites and blogs with such recipes.  I combined a few recipes and here’s what I came up with…

Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

1- 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 Cups Half and Half or Heavy Cream
3 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  


In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients except vanilla extract. Set the pot over medium heat and slowly heat the mixture until it is hot and steaming, but not simmering. When mixture begins to steam, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Cover the pot and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain into a jar or another container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

 
Maybe you are not crazy about Pumpkin Spice creamer like I am. Maybe you are a fan of French Vanilla or Peppermint Mocha. A website called Deliciously Organic has super easy recipes with other coffee creamer flavors to love.
 
I made my first batch last week and it was simply perfect! I am one happy girl that delights in the little things in life like enjoying my favorite creamer year-round, with ingredients I know and can pronounce!


~Laura