-->

Monday, October 8, 2012

Cultivating a Personal Prayer Life



Here’s a simple yet loaded question for you…how’s your prayer life? Many of us have really good intentions in spending quiet time with God, but when it doesn’t happen the dreaded “G” word –guilt- invades our hearts making it difficult for us to feel the freedom God intends us to have in coming to Him. Maybe you journal prayers, but have noticed your entries are a bit less frequent than they used to be, or maybe that morning time you hoped to carve out just isn’t fitting into the reality of your schedule. Perhaps for you it’s not a lack of time but a lack of depth in your prayers?  You’re tired of asking for the same things over and over, and you think just maybe God is holding the phone away from his ear while you repeat your requests. Again.  Are you new to the whole “talking to the Creator of the universe” process and not sure where to even begin that conversation?
I know I’ve been all of the above one or multiple times during my faith journey.  However, I also know time spent in the presence of God is a privilege with effects more powerful than anything I can conceive.  It’s in prayer where my pride and self-will bend to humility and my stubborn self-righteousness is called out to trust in God’s righteousness. It’s in talking with God where my deepest, child-like beliefs are voiced and reinforced into a stronger faith.  
Knowing those truths, how do I bring my heart back into communion with God?  How do I desire being in His presence so much that every to-do list, errand, or email returns to its rightful place in my priority list where time spent with my Savior is first and foremost? Go back to His word.  It’s alive and active (Hebrews 4:12).  It’s a weapon that can demolish those strongholds including any obstacle keeping you from spending time with God in prayer (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)  
Recently, I’ve been learning how to pray Scripture back to God. Author and speaker Beth Moore calls it, “speaking His language”.  God’s thoughts are not our own and our ways are not like His (Isaiah 55:8), so turning Bible verses into prayers is one way to restate God’s truths and get to know the mind and heart of a God who’s love draws you nearer to Him more than any amount of guilt ever will.  Here’s one example of what praying Scripture can look like.  There’s no right or wrong here, just choose a Scripture that speaks to your heart and talk to God about it. 
God, you say you satisfy the desires of every living thing and are loving towards me.  Me who’s a sinner, me who’s a doubter, me who isn’t always loving towards You. You are loving towards me because you made me. Show me how to desire You above all else.  You say you’re near to me when I call on You.  Do I believe that with my whole heart, God?  I admit that sometimes I don’t feel worthy of your presence. Remind me that it’s not about me, but about Jesus’ holy worth (Psalm 145: 16-21).  Help me start my day with your word on my mind and in my heart so your unfailing love will be what I trust in today.  Show me the way I should treat my children during trying moments and every way I should turn all day long.  I lift up my very soul to you, my Savior and Abba. (Psalm 142:8) Amen.
Jesus loves you and desires to spend time with you.  He’s jealous for your whole heart, so trust Him with your highest affections and know that He is the only one who is “able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy.” (Jude 24)