-->

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Knowledge Seekers

 



Getting Unstuck . . . Healing  

Our speaker today is Michelle Pemberton, Children's Ministry Pastor. Click HERE for a copy of her handout. 

What is healing?  What does healing involve?  Well according to an online dictionary it means the following:
  1. To restore to health or soundness; cure 
  2. To set right; repair
  3. To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness
Do you need healing?  You may be thinking, "I'm not sick.  Sure I have some minor ailments but nothing I need "healed"."  Well I don't know about you but I get stuck and need healing from losing my patience so quickly with my husband or kids over little things.  I need healing from my perfectionism.  I need healing from my obsession to accomplish and be productive.  I need healing from my need to have control.

What would you say to Jesus if he asked you whether you wanted to be healed of your own illnesses, physical or otherwise? Do you want to be rid of your addictions and other sins?  Do you believe Jesus can actually heal you?

In our study today of John 5 and 6, we see a man that Jesus healed.  Although Jesus healed this man physically, Jesus was also after healing this man spiritually. 
 
Jesus takes the initiative, as he did with the woman of Samaria, and approaches a man lying by this pool who had been ill for thirty-eight years.  The NIV translates the general term astheneia ("weakness," "disease") as invalid, due to the present context, but a later reference to healing "the whole man" may suggest a more general illness (7:23).  The man is there with no one to help him. . . this man has no hope of getting healed anyway because he cannot get to the pool. In other words, this is a situation of utter hopelessness and futility. But while the man cannot get to the pool, Jesus can get to him. The man is met by the one who is the stable, constant source not just of healing but of life itself, indeed, of eternal life . . . God finds each of us as helpless as this man. The good news is that he desires to grant each of us life, not necessarily mere healing in this life, but eternal life beginning now.  (from Biblegateway.com commentary - click HERE to read the entire write up)