-->

Sunday, February 10, 2013

"Date" your kids!


© Vallog | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos
With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, I thought I’d share with you something I started doing with my boys back in 2005. Valentine’s Day in 2005 I was pregnant with our youngest son, whom we knew was going to be born in a few short weeks with Spina Bifida. RJ had been an only child up to this point (5 ½ yrs old) and very much used to lots of 1 on 1 attention.

However, with so many things in our future uncertain, I made sure he and I went on a “date” together before our lives got flipped upside down! This particular occasion, we did do an actual date. My little boy took me out to dinner (McDonald’s) and a movie (something animated). It was so fun!

While Garrett was in the NICU, my dinners and evenings were split equally. While RJ was in school I’d be at the hospital with Garrett and every other day I’d leave to have dinner at home with RJ and get him settled into bed. The next night while I was with Garrett, RJ got to have dinner and spend time with many other loving family members.

As time progressed Garrett continued to demand a majority of my time, but RJ and I had established our date commitment. At this stage we would go roller-skating, eat pizza, drink rainbow slushes, and play arcade games at the rink. As Garrett grew the inequality of attention lessened and it became obvious that Garrett and I actually needed to start going on dates. So much of the time we spent together involved taking care of the necessities that we didn’t get to have much fun with one another. Since Garrett loved trains, we began our dates eating dinner at Fritz’s.

Fast forward a few years, and I presently have weekly dates scheduled with both of my boys. RJ is now 13 ½ and every Thursday we go get a coffee from Starbucks drive thru then park and catch up. For some reason teenagers will talk to you in the car more than anywhere else! At this age he’s so busy with his own life that sometimes I feel clueless as to what is going on, and I can see this only getting worse. Based on the conversations that take place during this time together, connecting with our teenagers on a regular basis appears to be vital!

Garrett will be 8 next month, he currently loves going to the park to play, going for walks, and getting frozen yogurt. Even though Garrett still gets a lot of my time and attention, having a date to go do something fun together has relieved a lot of stress for me. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and frustrated with him and all that we have to do on a daily basis, but our dates give us the opportunity to remember he’s just like any other 8-year-old little boy.

My boys look forward to these special dates so much that for Christmas they asked for gift cards to Starbucks and Peachwave. These “dates” have inspired us to incorporate intentional time to just build our relationships. We even have family dates to the movies, the zoo, or even a simple picnic in the park and playing catch! Our pace can get out of hand quickly if we allow it. Including these dates in our schedule has helped me create and maintain close healthy relationships with my boys. My prayer is for that to continue!

What does your family do? Especially if you have more than one kiddo, you may consider implementing an idea like this. Our children can be so different from on another and connecting with them individually makes them feel important and boosts their confidence about how God created them to be unique.
- Nanette H.