-->

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Be Still

©kokanary
Exodus 14:14 “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

In January, I started a plan to read the Bible through in a year. I was familiar with many Bible stories as a child, you know, through flannel boards at church and such. So I thought this would be a nice review. Ha! Apparently only “G-rated” stories were selected for Sunday school. Forget trash TV when you’ve got adventure, suspense, scandal and betrayal on every page of the Old Testament. Each day, I find myself anxious to find out what happens next, as each story unfolds.

But it’s not just an episode of “The Real Housewives” that I’m reading in the Bible. It is beyond anything that most people in our society today could fathom. It is a story of redemption. It is a story that carries a strong current of hope and a promise. Over and over again, God promises to deliver His people. All they have to do is listen to His instruction.

In the book of Exodus, God rescued the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, just as He promised. That was a big deal. It was a huge answer to prayer for the Israelites after years of bondage under Pharoah’s control. However, they had only begun their journey to freedom, when they began complaining of being hungry, thirsty, and tired. They became frantic and terrified that they might die in the desert. As a reader, I can’t help but yell back into history, “Are you crazy?? You have the nerve to question the God of the entire world? The One who just helped you escape Pharoah’s control? The One who literally just parted the seas so you could walk among the whales and other sea creatures and escape from Pharoah’s army? What? You think he brought you all the way out of Egypt just to let you starve to death?”

I thought they were crazy. I became really frustrated reading some of those passages. And in a moment of clarity, or rather, in a moment of intervention by the Holy Spirit, I realized that the Israelites are me. I am the one who has a hard time trusting in God sometimes, even when He continues to reveal Himself to me over and over again. I am not unlike the people in the story that I criticize.

And my favorite part of the story comes when the Israelites said to God, “It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!” I love how they were confident that their plan was better than the one God created for them. It’s humbling to know I am not the only one who ridiculously thinks I can make a better plan for myself than God can. And I love God’s response. He said, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

No matter our life stage or the circumstances in which we find ourselves, we need to remember one thing. We need to remember God’s hope and promise. He will fight for us. We do not need to create a plan, try to figure out what’s next, or waste time and energy on solving our problems. We need only to be still.
- Rebekah H.