-->

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Relationship in Adversity


Have you noticed a difference in the conversations happening recently?  Along with the tons of snow dumped on our area, tons of stories piled up also.  One young woman stayed with a friend and their family for 8 days because she couldn’t get through her neighborhood to get home.  A couple opened their home to surrounding neighbors, who had lost electricity, to warm up, refill a thermos of coffee, and charge cell phones.  Two little girls traveled door-to-door knocking to inquire if the residents would like them to build a snowman in their yard.  These select few stood out to me among the many stories, which arose from us loving our neighbors.  Repeatedly I heard of the neighbor receiving help or providing help in digging one another out of the snow.  Many neighborhoods experienced a revival in driveway conversations, children playing outdoors, and caring for the elderly among them.

My experience seems to fall in line with the majority of others.  Between my husband and my father-in-law, 7 + driveways were cleared at least twice with our heavy-duty snow blower, and who knows how many feet of sidewalk.  Since time seemed to slow under the shroud of snow outside, many kitchens warmed with the family’s favorite comfort foods like ours did.  For me each glorious snow day started with fresh baked cinnamon rolls, orange juice and coffee, with pj’s as the only acceptable indoor attire.

White fluffy snow not only collected, but it connected or in some cases reconnected.  The hearts of people, neighborhoods, and the city returned to be helpful, kind, caring, and grace-filled.  The shift demanded my attention.  I know it has demanded others’ as well.  I feel God asking me, and maybe all of us, what are we going to do to hang on to it?  What does that look like?  For me the answer includes walking across the street more often with baked goods in hand, inviting the neighborhood kids in to play with mine, and maybe it will include coordinating a service project where my friends, family, and neighbors can lock arms once again for a cause further outside ourselves than just resurfacing after a snowfall.
- Nanette H.