-->

Monday, April 22, 2013

Connection through Suffering

© Paha_l | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images

We as human beings, are connected through our pain and suffering. Though I don’t want to watch my children suffer – and I pray for healing and know that God moves and answers prayer and that prayer is powerful – I hear Him say suffering is necessary. Why? Although God will work all things together for the good for those who love him, (Romans 8:28 (NLT) And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.) He does not exempt us or our children from suffering because, after all, that is how we connect and that is how character is built.

My daughter, 8, has struggled with self esteem for quite awhile and although God is guiding me in new ways to help her, he has shown me recently, that her self-esteem problem is not a failure in my position as her mother (which I felt deeply and to my dismay that it was), but a character building difficulty that will produce in her empathy, compassion, and love for others who are struggling. Although her past has not been perfect, due to my mistakes and the mistakes of others, it’s Satan who would like me to believe I’ve failed – it’s God who is telling me to trust that He has her in His hands and knows what He is doing in her life. God knows her future and is preparing her even today for the purpose for which he has called her. (2 Timothy 1:9 (NKJV) who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.) She will not be a “mean girl” – but already has compassion for those who are hurting.

 

As women, we feel connected to each other when we are vulnerable. When we hear that each other’s marriages aren’t perfect, house is chaotic, and insecurities in all areas are running rampant, that's our connection. No one feels a deep connection to someone else because they seem “perfect” and their life looks put together. We connect through pain. “You had a father that suffered from psychosis? Me too.”  “You wonder if you have any real gifts or talents to share? Me too.” “You wonder if anyone really cares to hear you talk about your pain? Me too.”

The foundation for our connection to each other is the commonality of human suffering. Even Jesus came to connect with us through our common suffering. Why should we be any different? (Hebrews 2:10 (NLT) God, for whom and through whom everything was made, chose to bring many children into glory. And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation.)

Our children and our lives are in God’s hands when let them be. God is showing me, through my daughter, that life is not to be overcome through perfection and peace, but overcome through pain and conflict. Pain is the affliction that builds our character to endure our battles – and our battlefield is life. Pain brings connection, endurance, compassion, thankfulness, and draws us to God and each other. 


Watching our children suffer is not easy. It’s heart-breaking. Suffering ourselves is not easy, it’s heart-wrenching. But God whispers in the most difficult moments some of the most profound lessons and the most needed attributes in our personhood are formed. Knowing who God is and how He works, I cannot wish away this pain for my daughter, but just be there for her and in prayer with her through her pain. I can connect with my daughter through her suffering because I too struggle with self-esteem. “You struggle with self-esteem? Me too.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NLT)  Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.)