-->

Friday, April 5, 2013

Cultivating a Love of Reading...in the Digital Age

© Dtguy | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
I am the first to admit that I have nerd-like tendencies.  My love of reading is one of the manifestations of my inner nerd.  I don't remember when I learned to read, but I have very clear memories tied to specific books I read (where I was, what I felt, etc.).  I moved a lot growing up...I mean 13 different schools K-12 kind of a lot.  Books were one of the constants in my life.

Fast-forward 30-some-odd years and my love of reading has turned digital.  I am rarely without ready access to a book in some form, be it an audiobook on my iPod (which actually contained no music until recently), an e-book on one of the many (yes, many) e-reader apps on my phone or iPad, or a good old paperback.

One of the greatest joys I have experienced as a parent is watching my oldest learn to read and, more importantly, develop a love for reading.  As a homeschooling mom, it has been amazing to use books to make our school time special for both of us.  We read to each other every day - school books, fun books, informative books, you name it.  This time spent reading has been the most important part of developing that love of reading in my daughter.  We finished our "read-aloud" book list from our school work weeks early because she begs for, "just one more chapter, mom."  I love it!

Whether you are a digital fan or a paper and ink kind of girl, we are blessed with an amazing wealth of options for getting our reading fix around here.  Luckily major retailers know we crave books so the selection at places like Target can be pretty good.  Even with the shrinking footprint of big box book stores, there are many retail options out there to buy books, paper and on CD (even Sam's, Costco, and most grocery stores).  Smaller, boutique bookstores are hanging in there as well and can be a special outing to take your kids on - there is nothing like browsing the shelves at a cozy bookstore to get you excited about reading.

For e-book and audiobook options the internet is wide open...truly, the sky is the limit.  Amazon.com is a favorite of mine for e-books because they have thousands of books for free or very little cost.  You can even borrow books library-style if you own a Kindle (not the app) and have an Amazon Prime account.  You can also lend some Kindle books to other Kindle users - this is open to all users, even those with just the free app.  There are many sites out there that send out lists of the free or low-priced Kindle books of the day - Inspired Reads is a nice list because they send only faith-friendly titles.

Some of the other major players in the e-book arena are Apple with iBooks through the iBookstore, Barnes and Noble with Nook app, readers, and books, Books-a-Million, Kobo with Kobo app, readers, and books, Sony readers and books, and Google with books on Google play.  I know there are many I am missing, but these are some of the bigger options.

I often find it hard to actually sit down immerse myself in a good book with three small kids - I am constantly on my feet or in the car.  Enter audiobooks - let me tell you, I am obsessed.  Again, there are quite a few options out there, but fewer big players in this arena.  Audible.com is my go-to source.  They are now owned by Amazon I believe and when you are searching for a book on Amazon.com you are often presented with a choice of purchasing hardcover, paperback, Kindle, or Audible versions.  Audible books play on most mp3 devices and there are apps for Apple and Android phones/tablets for searching and listening.  Of course, Apple wouldn't be left out - you can purchase audiobooks through the iTunes store to play on your i-(pod, phone, pad, etc.).

I discovered something last year - we are fortunate in Kansas City that we live in a metro area that spans two states.  Our public libraries have relationships!  You can sign up for a Johnson County Library Card, as a resident of Johnson County, and walk yourself into a Mid-Continent Public Library in Missouri and be issued a library card tied to your JCL card.  I mean, this is life-changing people!  Not only does this give you access to the paper and ink beauties across the Metro, but their digital catalogs as well.  Yes, my friends, you can check out e-books and audiobooks through Johnson County Library, Olathe Public Library, and the State Library of Kansas (you can get a card at any library in Johnson County) - all without leaving the comfort of your home.

I know I don't need to extoll the virtues of reading to your kids, but as a reminder, there is no downside to spending precious time with your kids exploring a good book, whether you are reading to them, they to you, or you read and discuss book club style.  What are you reading with your kids?
- Katrina K.