-->

Monday, May 6, 2013

A Willing Heart

bizior photography - www.bizior.com

In my vast experience of parenting (about three-and-a-half years), I've learned several valuable lessons: a good game of peek-a-boo goes a long way, Nordstrom has a giant bathroom tucked away on the 3rd floor, perfect for tantruming toddlers and crying babies, and I will be vague, but a third lesson of great value has to do the appropriate way of changing a newborn baby boy's diaper. Honestly, there really is no reason why bodily fluids should be on the walls of a nursery.

But beyond strategies for survival, one of the most important lessons I have learned so far is the value of a willing heart. Something my three-and-a-half year old has been teaching me lately.

She is a high-spirited, passionate little girl. With her passion pointed in the right direction, I see her stand up for what is right, give away her last bite of dessert and share a new toy without having played with it first. And conversely, which sometimes happens on a more frequent basis, we experience meltdown after meltdown after meltdown.

Most recently we had a break through. From a request to finish her green beans at lunchtime, she was sent into a meltdown of sheer agony and turmoil. I firmly, but gently told her she needed to calm down and what she said next changed my heart, just as surely as it was changing hers.

In the midst of gasping for breath between tears and with a hot, red face, she exclaimed, “Mom, I can't calm down!” It's strange, but I could see in her eyes that she wanted to, but physically, she just couldn't do it. Then she frantically requested, “Mom, please help me!”

I didn't know what to do. For some reason, in that moment, all I could think about was Jesus. So we prayed. I've prayed with her before meals and at bedtime, but we've never prayed together during a moment of desperation. I held onto her tightly and prayed out loud for Jesus to calm her heart, to make her feel better and to protect her.

And then she calmed down. I held her for a bit longer until her final tears were gone. And in those moments, all I could think about was my relationship with Jesus. I am His daughter and He is my parent. He doesn't need me to be perfect; He just needs me to have a willing heart. When I make mistakes or when I don't know what to do with my frustration or anger, He just wants me to call out to Him. He wants to hear me say, “I can't calm down! Please help me!”

King David writes in Psalm 119:147, “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.” And in Isaiah, God promises, “Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and He will say: Here am I.”

It is not our actions in which God responds. He is simply looking for a willing heart.
- Rebekah H.