-->

Friday, May 3, 2013

You and Your Child

This wonderful piece was sent in by Tasha and written by Joe White, President of Kanakuk Kamps.


Years ago when my kids were small, I was walking my youngest daughter home after an evening K-Life at Kamp. A splendid display of stars spangled overhead; a gift to enjoy from our Creator.

As Courtney and I marveled at the heavenlies, perhaps ten thousand feet above us we gazed at a jet airplane cruising through the night; its lights brightly visible as it prepared to land at an airport fifty miles away.

"Courtney, see those lights?" I pointed overhead.

She leaned back further. "Yes, Daddy. What is it?"

"It's a jet, Sweetheart. See how bright those lights are?"

"Wow, that's neat!"

Capturing a teachable moment, I continued. "See that brightest star just above the plane? That star is thousands of times brighter than our sun, but it is over ten million light years away, so it looks like a tiny dot in the sky."

"Wow, Dad, that's awesome!"

Just then a lightning bug, only a few feet above us, lit up brightly. It was almost like the startling flash of a camera. Just imagine- a lightning bug, whose tail measures only an eighth of an inch across, outshining an airplane's light that can illuminate a runway or a star that could comparatively make the sun look like a flickering candle.

The principle I observed began to grip me with excitement as I related it to parenting.

For years, my kids were exposed to negative peer pressure at school, anti-family music at their friends' houses, seductive messages on television commercials and a giant assortment of modern-day bad influences. Their world was full of it; all presented in the brightest trappings to light up the eyes of children of all ages. It all looked so appealing and irresistible!

But, I was filled with encouragement when I resolved that amidst the alluring display of illuminating corruptive influences that surrounded my kids, if I could get my "Daddy light" consistently as close to their eyes as possible I would be the brightest lightin their sky!

I know that Jesus' light is the light I want them to see, but Matthew 5:16 lays the wonderful task on my should when it says, "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds, and glorify, your Father in heaven."

My light may only be a "flicker" compared to the neon fireworks display they faced every day, but the light that is closest is the light that is going to win their hearts for a lifetime!!!

My light; the steady beam of my biblical, old-fashioned, pro-family values may be small, and I knew I would never give it the same seductive dazzle that the media fantasy-makers gave their message. But I knew I would keep my light just a whisper away from those four precious pairs of eyes as they looked for leadership and direction.

Adolescence and pre-adolescence are difficult skies to navigate, but one thing has remained constant in my 40 years of counseling kids; parents who stay close to their kids with meaningful touch, consistent encouragement, participation with the child's activities and most importantly praying and reading the Bible together daily almost always raise the best kids! Kids spell love T-I-M-E!

As your child's skies are filled with neon stars that glitter with temptation, I pray today that your light and God's light will shine ever more brilliantly and that your child will navigate successfully by THAT light through these challenging years that lie ahead!