-->

Thursday, October 10, 2013

How Should We Pray?

Image by rockpuppet from stock.xchng
When Jesus’s disciples asked him how to pray, Jesus gave them what is called, “The Lord’s prayer.”  We find it in the book of Matthew, chapter 6, right in the middle of "The Sermon on the Mount.”  

“Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.” (Matt. 6:9-13)


So many times in my life, I do not find myself thinking this way.  It is something that I need to intentionally remember to come back to.  If I really want to get to know the Father, do I need to pray this way?  I can’t answer that…(I just figured that out).  However, I do know that after 9 years of my life REALLY laying before him, following him, and allowing him to love me, allowing him to change me, forming me into his image…allowing him into those ugly places that I can’t change (you know - the one only our kids and husband see and hear with a very quick apology, “I am sorry, mommy shouldn’t have yelled”), I know it is more than a word.  It is a relationship.  

If we base our conversation with him on this prayer, the Lord’s Prayer, we are stopping everything, and going to the Father.  Our Father, in heaven, you are holy.  Your kingdom come…seeking out what his kingdom is.  Your will be done...searching, what is his will?  On earth as it is in heaven...let heaven come to earth.  Let heaven come, where is heaven, and how can it come?  These are things that we cannot wrap our brains around, yet this is the guideline for how to pray.  For yours is the kingdom, yours is the power, and yours is the glory forever, amen.  To me, this prayer is going to God - my father, your father - and giving him praise.  Letting go of my will, my way, and asking him what to pray.  Humbling myself and seeking his kingdom first before my own.  

I implore you to go on a journey to re-direct your prayer life.  Start small, simple, and sweet - take a deep breath, and open your bible or laptop to Matthew chapter 6.  Let everything within you go there to the Sermon on the Mount.  If you have just 3 minutes in your bathroom as “quiet time,” he will take it. I used to utilize my daughter’s naptime for this.  Was it hard giving him that entire two hours?  Not after I began to know him.  Getting to know him, and his love, is life.  So many times, I will hear someone say, “live life to the fullest” - my life is Jesus.  If I am to live, I need to breathe - he is my breath, he is my everything.  Now, my children are in school and I have many more than 2 hours.  Those napping moments shaped me - formed me into the woman I am today.  

If you hung out with me, you would see flaws really quick.  I fail.  We all fall short. But, I get to choose what I do during alone time hours, and spending time with him is and has always been the best choice. 
- Jenn G.