-->

Monday, October 28, 2013

Trust

It happens when it’s time to the leave park. Or when it’s nap time. Or, really, it happens whenever a toddler does not want something to end. As a result, it becomes the moment when parents decide it’s time to just pick their child up and go. 

At this point, my question is: How does my toddler know how to make himself heavier than he really is? My son weighs just shy of 30 pounds, but when he does not want to be picked up, he easily weighs in close to 50. That’s not an exaggeration. He clearly must have some sort of super power.

In these moments, I ask myself, “Why are you fighting this?” as I pant and carry a wiggling, heavy load to the car or up the stairs. And I think, “Relax and just wait until we get to your crib…” or “The minute you get into the air conditioning with your Nemo sippy cup of cold water, you’ll feel much better.” My thoughts continue, “Listen little one, don’t you get it? I have an easier way. Things are going to be better. Just trust me."

Upon reflection, I can’t help but wonder if this is how I sometimes act with my Heavenly Father? I wonder if, at times, when God is trying to talk to me, I turn myself into a toddler who wants to continue playing at the park or building my Lego house. I wonder, in my moments of resistance, am I acting as if my plans are better than His?

Instead of my voice saying, “trust me” to my child; rather, God is saying, “trust me” to His child. And His child is me. His children are all of us who believe. Proverbs 3:5 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

On top of all of this, I love my children with every ounce of my being. And, if I love them more than they can comprehend, I imagine I am only catching a glimpse into the Father’s love for me. He loved us so much that He sent His son to die for us. Jesus is speaking to his disciples in John 10:11 and says, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays his life down for the sheep.”

Just how I long to guide my children, I am reminded that the Lord wants to guide me. Jesus promises that He has a better story for us.  Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Through this reflection I am encouraged to, “Trust in His unfailing love; and to rejoice in His salvation.” Ps 13:5. I imagine that He’s telling me, “I have an easier way. Things are going to get better. Just trust me.”


This scenario is in the forefront of my mind because lately, I keep thinking about the word trust. I can’t help but feel as though God is asking me to trust Him more in certain areas of my life. This is challenging, because it certainly isn’t easy to hand the reigns over to God and let Him take control. But at the same time, it blows my mind that sometimes I feel like my plans may be better than His. But then He reminds me. He reminds me through the small details of my life, like my child not wanting to leave the park, that I can trust Him. And if I do, I will realize that He has a better story for me and in fact, His ways are better than mine. I just need to trust Him.
- Rebekah H.