-->

Friday, November 8, 2013

Prayer and Persecution


Losing relationship with people is one of the most heart wrenching things we can go through as women.  It could be rejection from someone that you considered to be a friend, or a friend abruptly ceasing communication with no explanation.  For me, it was someone who I was close to my entire life.  I trusted her only to find out she had been gossiping about me behind my back.  When I asked her about it, it was even more painful, because she said some things that were un-true and indicative of her true feelings toward me. 

Why am I sharing this with you?  As women, relationships are important to us.  Having a safe place to fall and to be real is crucial to our emotional well-being.  Times like these really put our prayers and our belief in the power of prayer to the test.  We are called to be prayer warriors praying without ceasing for ourselves, our families, and on behalf of others so that we may be transformed and forged into a stronger weapon for Christ.  Warriors have a calling and see beyond the task at hand to the bigger picture.

David was a prayer warrior, and he cried out to God many times in desperation. Like in Psalm 79:8 he said, “Do not hold against us the sins of past generations; may your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need.”  Or in Psalm 142:6, “Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me.”  Do you allow yourself to cry out to God in these ways?

The Bible is full of compelling reasons and ways to pray.  

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:6-7

“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.” Eph. 6:18

Then I read scripture like the Sermon on the Mount: 
“Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them.  He said:
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.’” Matt. 5:1-12

Are there any of these, “Blessed are those who ‘_____,’” that you can relate to?  It seems contradictory to say it’s blessed to be insulted, persecuted, or spoken falsely of.  However, the word of God states it to be the truth.  I believe the whole Bible.  Not sections or portions, but the entire living word of God and I am choosing to believe these words spoken by Jesus about how is blessed. 

All I knew that my heart was torn into pieces as I lost every ounce of what I thought I had in that friendship.  If you feel like you are mourning, poor in spirit, meek, hungry and thirsty for righteousness, merciful, pure of heart, a peacemaker, or persecuted because of righteousness, you are blessed.  If you are persecuted by people who persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you, you are blessed.  This is what the Bible says.  Read your promises.  Hold onto those promises.  Believe in those promises.  Sometimes a promise is all we have.

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.” Heb. 11:1

Thankfully, I found a scripture that Jesus was praying for me as the great intercessor.  Jesus said, “I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.” John 17:9

I had to face the hard truth that this person was no longer safe for me, and mourn the loss of what we had, or what I thought we had. The pain that followed was excruciating, and learning to trust again was almost impossible, as I was so afraid to be vulnerable enough to put my heart out there again.  What’s great about prayer is that God accepts a great big “HELP!”

Trusting again began with Jesus.  If I could trust him, I could entrust him with my heart, and ask him to put people in my path that were friends that I longed for.  True friends, even just one!


I want to encourage you, that as I spent years getting to know Jesus as my friend, he taught me how to be a friend, one that I would want.  He began to bring people into my life, and it felt like Christmas morning!  If you are feeling alone, or if you’ve been betrayed, look to Jesus.  He’s where our help comes from.  Here is a great song to listen to and allow it to become your heart’s cry….”Help!” 
- Jennifer G.


God I look to You, I won’t be overwhelmed
Give me vision to see things like You do
God I look to You, You’re where my help comes from
Give me wisdom; You know just what to do

I will love You Lord my strength
I will love You Lord my shield
I will love You Lord my rock forever
All my days I will love You God

Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns forever
All my days Hallelujah
- song by Jenn Johnson