-->

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Hospitality - Welcome to my Home

The idea of entertaining people in my home has greatly intimidated me in the past.  Even though I enjoyed it when it happened, it wasn’t something I volunteered to do often.  Our family hosted an annual Halloween party for a few years and occasionally my husband and I invited a couple over for dinner and board games, but the work that went into preparing took days!!  So, when the idea of an “open door” policy was introduced to me initially, it created a lot of anxiety in me.  Not only do I fight with comparison of my home, furniture, and decor, but even more that our real life won’t measure up, that our family, friends, and neighbors would find me somehow lacking as a wife, mother and homemaker.  

​Ironically, about this same time I found myself invited into a discipling relationship, invited into someone elses life, and this “open door” policy was not only modeled well, but this was the main tool used to point me towards Jesus and His Word.  Each time she hosted me, whether at her place of employment, a coffee shop, or her home she exuded hospitality and servanthood.  I found this relationship and everything it ignited in me so captivating that our surroundings always reflected the light shining from it.  Months went by which included numerous visits to her home and I experienced grand tablescapes and candles to laundry piled in the hallway and pitching in to do the dishes.  The biggest transition took place, we become family.  

​We recently moved, and now one of the things we look forward to the most is not entertaining our family, friends and neighbors, but hosting them in our home with an “open door” policy. This is NOT because the new house is bigger or better or newer, because it’s not!  It’s because now we see our home as an opportunity to provide a safe, loving, and nurturing place to grow friendships and build the family God makes.

​So, please, consider this your invitation!  We can sit back, put our feet up on an unpacked box, and over a cup of coffee share what God’s doing in our lives.

- Nanette H.