-->

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Journey to Advent

I have a little sign above my kitchen sink that reads, "Enjoy the Journey".  I forget it's there, honestly, but every once in a while it catches my eye or imagination and I'm reminded of what it means to enjoy (take pleasure in something) life.  This journey in life, in Mothers Together, in parenthood, in marriage, in relationships, in hoping for something better or different can seem long but it's in the journey where God raises up in us an unshakeable faith and strength built for eternity.  There's a part of us that is just directly wired to desire eternity and complete perfection; wrongs made right, and we get anxious on our journeys for God to move in our world instead of us in His.  That's really what Advent is all about, isn't it?  God's people waited for their Messiah. We wait for His return.  Celebrating Advent is supposed to be a way of life, but instead of lighting candles it's lived out in our hearts, minds, words, and actions. It's in the wait, in these journeys God has prepared for us, where we get the honor and privilege of faith and hope.  Faith in a God who is who He says He is and hope in a Savior who does what He says He can do.

Enjoy these Bible verses with me this week and consider where you are in your own journey.  Is your waiting filled with an expectant hope and joy?  I pray it is and continues to only be more-so in the days ahead.

(Micah was a prophet in Judah during a war-stricken time nearly 700 years before Jesus' arrival.) Micah 7:7- "But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me."

Psalm 39:7- “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you."

Lamentations 3:25-"The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him."

How beautiful are these words in Isaiah 30:18- "Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him."

Heavenly Father, I look forward to waiting on you in 2014!

Merry Christmas, MT
Jena M.