-->

Monday, October 12, 2015

Not Yet Finished

One of my biggest guilty pleasures during naptime these days is watching HGTV on Netflix. I look forward to those precious minutes each day where I can sit on the couch, in a quiet house, eat my lunch and just watch those designers, handymen and realtors work their magic.  There is something deeply therapeutic about watching something old have new vision and life breathed into it.  I never tire of seeing the evidence of how these seemingly hopeless and broken down spaces can absolutely become beautiful, useful and purposeful again. 

The imagery is not lost on me when I stop to ponder why these shows about renovation, restoration, fixing up and renewal so deeply resonate with me.  Sure my heart loves beauty, my spirit loves working to make a house into a home, but more than that, I personally know what it feels like to feel a bit run down, broken and a long way from beautiful.

It was not so long ago that I felt lost, alone, and without hope for my future.  Earlier in our marriage, we lost our first child, weathered the loss of stability due to several job changes, and later after the birth of our second child, we lost our fertility.  It was during those darkest days that I felt myself begin to also lose my faith as we struggled to build our family and the life we had imagined for ourselves.  In my darkest, most broken days I struggled in my ability to see God working and moving in my life for the good.  I felt the way I imagine a run-down, abandoned, ramshackle house looks:  forgotten, empty, hopeless, unworthy and unlovable.

Thankfully, we serve a God who never abandons us. His word says in Deuteronomy 31:8, The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  During my time of struggle, I was continually reminded through His word and by my close circle of friends around me that His plan for me was not finished.  While it felt like the walls of my life were crumbling down, I meditated on the truth of how He is constantly working in and through us to renew and restore us for His glory.  Although most days I could not feel it, I knew and believed this to be true.  He is constantly working to bring back life where there was none; bringing beauty from ashes.  It is His specialty.  His word says in Isaiah 43:19,See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.  

Our God is in the business of making all things new again and I am living proof.  God has done what I felt was impossible and restored my heart to life.  I no longer feel only disappointment, hopelessness and unworthiness as I walk through my days.  He has accomplished in my heart what no miracle-working designer on HGTV could ever do:  He has renovated and restored the rooms of my heart and the vision of my eyes.  And from the perspective of someone who lived through the desolation days, the rooms and the view are lovely beyond expression. 

I marvel at where I am now compared to where I once was.  I now know that our God, the Master Creator, has a vision for our lives more beautiful and awe-inspiring than anything we could ever dream up or find on HGTV.  It is still fun to watch those gifted designers, handymen and realtors use their incredible talents, but despite all of the miracle before and aftersthey pull off for the cameras, I know they have nothing on our God.

Sarah L.