-->

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Spurred On

Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshipping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.  Hebrews 10:24-25

Almost every night of my boy’s lives, I’ve prayed that they would spur one another on toward love and good deeds…and in my mother’s heart I’d add…more than they spur each other toward rascally antics or crazy dares. They’ve also heard me say more than once, “friends will come and go, but you’ve always got your bro.”  

My point being, don’t take for granted the gift that is right in front of you, even if there’s no way in Hades you’d ever call it “a gift” to have an annoying, overbearing, space-invading brother constantly messing with your life.  One day, you will.

Of course I want them to value friendships and loyalty and experiencing life with other people - they do - our whole family does.  But what I’m hoping to convey is, while growing up in our household, the one thing they know will be constant is each other…on vacations, on dreary winter days, in times of transition and upheaval - whatever it is and wherever we go - they have each other.  So treasure, preserve, nurture what you know you have.

My sweet sisters, life moves us along on differing paths, in various places, through varying degrees of hard and wonderful things. I dare say each of our lives look vastly different now than they did the first day we took hold of our salvation and Jesus became real to us.  Perhaps he prayed for us as well…to consider how we can spur one another on toward love and good deeds…because life was about to blow and we had no idea what the next 10, 20, 30 years would bring.  But He did and He does.  I hear him say to us,  

Don’t take Me, made real to you, for granted…even during seasons when theres no way you’d call it “a gift” to trust Me, (because your circumstances haven’t changed), to believe Me, (because lies have gone from whispers to screams inside your head), to follow Me, (because taking up your cross feels less like redemption and more like conscious work)… whatever has or hasn’t happened, I am still real, I am still Me and I am still yours and you are mine. 

One glorious Day when everything is made new, you will look on Me…for real… in all My majesty and grace, and it will be worth it.  I have not changed.  I do not lie.  I carry your cross alongside you.  I am that good - don’t be afraid to trust Me.  I am that able - don’t be afraid to believe Me.  Remember, remember, remember.  Remember the First day to hold on till the last Day; to be spurred on toward love and good deeds, trust and belief, on this day.  


~Elizabeth D.