-->

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Why and How Should I Tell Others?

I read through the book of Revelation last year in a Bible study group. It was confusing, terrifying, and then opened up to such beauty and hope that my life felt different with this new understanding of the end of the story. I felt compelled to share, but conflicted because of the intense and graphic nature of this book of the Bible. How exactly do you let people know that you believe that the end of the world is coming with horrific beasts and monsters, but if they believe in Jesus there will be streets paved with gold?

God calls us to share his message because his mercy and love is for all his children and he wants us all to come back home. But sharing that message will look different and sound different for each of us.

My dad died suddenly and unexpectedly this summer. My family was together getting ready to celebrate the fourth of July at the family cabin. Instead of watching the fireworks display over the lake we buried the leader of my family: the oldest son, the big brother to five siblings, my one and only dad. Normal life stopped as we tried to make sense of this new reality. Who were we all now without him? How could any of us feel joy or see good in this world? It was in these times that I found verses from Revelation and other places in the Bible coming out of me as if it were my own words.

I sat on the couch with my uncle and told him that I didn't know exactly what heaven would be like, but I believed in it and I believed that Jesus has gone before us and prepared rooms for all of us in his father's home. (John 14: 1-4). I laid in bed next to my mom and told her that one day God would wipe every tear from our eyes as tears poured down our cheeks. (Revelation 21:4). I told my sons when they couldn't sleep that Papa was now in a place where there was never night or darkness or reason to fear because God is a glorious light that fills every corner. (Revelation 21:23-25). And I told my grandmother who had lost her husband a year and a half before losing her oldest son, that nothing could separate her from the love God has for her (Romans 8:38-39). I told her not to grow weary of doing good and not to doubt her faith, (Galatians 6:9). She has been our family's arrow to Jesus and even her terrible grief is not enough to make that change.

I could say these things because I knew they were true. I didn't have to search for words of comfort for those grieving all around me because the words - God's words - just came out of me. I had read, studied, prayed and when the unimaginable happened I had my heavenly father's comfort to offer to others. I didn't have to look for an opening to share God's truth - I had to speak as I watched His children grieve and question and cry out for answers.

As time has passed and the shock gave way to a different stage of grief, my resolve grew a little shaky, my hope a little dull, my urgency to share a little less important. My Lord felt distant and silent, but even then I had God's word to rely on. Like Aaron and Hur holding up Moses's arms when he grew weary I found support from others when I felt weak and alone. I saw that two are better than one because if one falls the other can help him up (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10) and I felt the Lord's presence near my broken heart through the kindness and understanding of others (Psalm 34:18).

Sharing God's word won't be the same for everyone. I know some are able to share their beliefs without the need of tragedy ripping open their hearts. For me, when my heart was torn open I found that what came pouring out was not only my sadness and grief, but my trust and faith in how much God loves us. That was too powerful for me to keep silent. As my heart heals, I may be a little less vocal, but that sharing has changed me. I pray that it changes you too.



Blessings,
Meghan Hemenway















At-Home Study

Pray: ask God to reveal Himself to you through the scriptures, to help you receive the message He has specifically for you today.

Read: each passage twice in 2-3 different translations.


{Day 1} Matthew 28:16-20

{Day 2} Matthew 5:13-16

{Day 3} 2 Corinthians 4:1-18

{Day 4} Acts 4:23-31

{Day 5} Mark 4:1-20


Observe: What is happening? What catches your attention? What is the message of this passage?What thoughts or feelings does it provoke?

Reflect: Why do these things catch your attention? Why do you feel or think certain things from reading it?

Apply: What does this say about God? What does it say about people? What does it say about God's plan for us? What does this mean for you? How can you apply what God is saying to you?