-->

Thursday, November 3, 2016

How Can I Resist Evil?

The battle is constant. I feel exposed and vulnerable in so many ways. I practice many strategies, both offensive and defensive. I am aware that evil exists and I know his tactics. I ready myself with the full Armor of God. (Eph. 6:10-18)

But often I feel like all of my efforts aren't enough. I feel weak and weary in spite of putting all the things I've learned into practice. I'm clinging to it all desperately, but the attacks are still getting in and I don't seem to be recovering quickly.

Feeling alone and isolated by the weight of it all, the thought of sharing the load with someone else is both tempting and repulsive. You know you'd find relief if someone joined you, but you'd first need to expose yourself and your stuff, making you vulnerable in a real way to judgement and rejection. This time instead of hearing the voices say "you're not enough," you hear "you're too much." Too messy, too needy, and no one has the room/time/energy/desire to join you in this.

Who does that sound like?

The thief comes to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 NIV

When these moments of desperation overcome the fear provoked by the idea of inviting someone else into my mess I seek out those who also practice these strategies. Someone who is also fighting for their relationship with Jesus, saturated in God's word, humble and kind, but bold with truth. 

This person helps me identify the lies and wounds, proclaims truth, and carries the weight of my burdens with me. 

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them. 
Matthew 18:20 KJV


As in scripture when the four friends carry the paralyzed man to the house where Jesus is and lower him through the roof to be placed at the feet of Jesus, we can borrow strength and faith from those God has placed around us. We can lend it to those around us when we find them "paralyzed". 

What is your plan? How do you resist evil? 

This analogy just came to me. I'm writing this on a computer. The program often automatically saves my work. The computer has a program that guards against viruses. I get a warning when the battery is running low. I will upload this post via an internet connection through a router and a firewall. The blog host will save it to a server and that company has protocols that include routine backup saves and likely a disaster recovery plan in the event that their home office location gets destroyed. They have a known secondary location, key employees know where it is and what to do to get them up and functioning again as quickly as possible.  

If this is how a company plans, prepares, and practices for influence and events that could move against them, how much more should we plan, prepare, and practice the strategies laid out for us by God to do the same?


Blessings,
Nanette Haskin















At-Home Study

Pray: ask God to reveal Himself to you through the scriptures, to help you receive the message He has specifically for you today.

Read: each passage twice in 2-3 different translations.


{Day 1} 1Peter 5:6-11

{Day 2} Genesis 3:1-7

{Day 3} James 4:1-10

{Day 4} Romans 6:5-14

{Day 5} Ephesians 6:10-18



Observe: What is happening? What catches your attention? What is the message of this passage?What thoughts or feelings does it provoke?

Reflect: Why do these things catch your attention? Why do you feel or think certain things from reading it?

Apply: What does this say about God? What does it say about people? What does it say about God's plan for us? What does this mean for you? How can you apply what God is saying to you?