-->

Thursday, October 27, 2016

How Does God Guide Us?


I didn't have a volunteer to write this week's blog. Certainly, God has guided me and I could offer my own story. My mind began organizing my thoughts to do just that. But when I sat down to type out those words I thought of all the stories I heard from so many. Actually, many stories were repeated, the details just a little different.

Then this thought popped in my head, "give those stories a voice." I haven't asked anyone's permission, but I feel like these stories are so prevalent that they could belong to anyone and everyone.

Scripture: Sometimes it just POPS off the page. Sometimes it leads me to thinking about something I wouldn't have otherwise been led to think about. Sometimes a verse "randomly" crosses my path in unexpected or unplanned places that fit the state of my heart or circumstances perfectly.

The Holy Spirit: Sometimes a thought, idea, or feeling comes to me that is quite different than what I had been thinking or feeling. Sometimes I feel like I'm supposed to do or say something that seems random and unlike me, specifically to encourage, help or build up someone else. Sometimes I hear a song that fits the state of my heart or circumstances perfectly.

Wise Counsel: Sometimes someone randomly shares or speaks scripture or an encouraging and helpful word. Sometimes processing with someone who is also trying to follow Jesus provides perspective.

Circumstances: Sometimes the way seems to be prepared for me. Sometimes the way seems to be blocked. Sometimes when experiencing difficulty or in a long season of waiting I've been put in places where I'm prompted to remember all God has already done for me.


We can be confident God is always guiding us.

The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 

God's guidance will always:

  • be in line with the Bible
  • be loving
  • be strengthening, encouraging and comforting
  • bring the peace of God


Currently, this song seems to speak to me.





Blessings,
Nanette Haskin














At-Home Study

Pray: ask God to reveal Himself to you through the scriptures, to help you receive the message He has specifically for you today.

Read: each passage twice in 2-3 different translations.


{Day 1} John 10:1-18

{Day 2} Acts 12:6-17

{Day 3} Acts 16:6-10

{Day 4} John 14:15-31

{Day 5} Acts 2:1-47



Observe: What is happening? What catches your attention? What is the message of this passage?What thoughts or feelings does it provoke?

Reflect: Why do these things catch your attention? Why do you feel or think certain things from reading it?

Apply: What does this say about God? What does it say about people? What does it say about God's plan for us? What does this mean for you? How can you apply what God is saying to you?