-->

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Guest Speaker-Deb Dambacher


Guest Speaker: Debra Dambacher

Family stats: I’ve been married for a long time and God has been so faithful in working through some very serious marital and individual issues to keep our marriage together and bring us closer and closer.  We have one son who now lives in London with our daughter-in-law and our two granddaughters.  Thanks to God’s intervention, literally, we have been able to spend a lot of time together despite the distance.  But that is another story.

Spiritual gifts: Faith, mercy, helps

Spiritual Pathways: Contemplative, Worship

Passions: Because of the events in my life as a prodigal, I am passionate about the spiritual healing that Jesus brings us.  When He introduced Himself and His ministry, He said this:  “I have come to heal the brokenhearted, bring freedom to the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to comfort all who mourn, to bestow on them a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.”  That is what He has done in my life and He wants to do it in yours, too!

Secret shames:  These are the things that hold us captive, that we hide and repress…the places in our heart where He wants to bring healing.  God wants truth in our innermost being and He wants to bring freedom.  In my life, those shames have been a sense of worthlessness, deceitfulness, self-soothing from substances, disloyalty, fear, self-righteousness, abandonment, and on and on.  But He’s brought healing.  No more secrets, no more shame, just freedom and honesty, thanks to Him.

Book that you love:  It has to be Psalms, from the Bible.  These poems and songs capture the depth of emotion we all have and with it open a window into God’s faithfulness.  (OK just so you don’t think I’m over-spiritualizing, I am currently reading the third in a 3 volume biographical series on Theodore Roosevelt.  But if I was on a deserted island with only one book, it would be Psalms.)

Favorite things: Books.  I love to read, I love to learn.

Favorite room in your house:  Living room – it’s a place that I have experienced many intimate moments with Jesus as I have cried out to him in times of desperation or have expressed my thankfulness to Him for what He has done.

Favorite tradition:  For twelve years now, my husband and I have gone to a friend’s house each November and prepare a Thai meal for the family while they decorate for Christmas.  Their daughters grew up with it and now as teenage girls, they have given up sleepovers and parties because they do not want to miss the evening!  The tradition ties us together in ways that just routine interaction does not.