-->

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Keeping Kids Papers Organized

I have three kids at three different schools and keeping all the stuff they bring home has always been tricky!  I think I have finally implemented a system that works!

The kids come in the back door, hang coats, drop backpacks and wash hands.  Then they put their shoes in the "shoe drawer." I then go through papers and immediately recycle duplicates, reminder notices after I put them on the calendar in my phone, graded work etc.  I display art in a plate rack which is usually seasonal and this makes me happy! 

Other work or art I file in their upright magazine holders that are in order of each child by age.  Bigger art I keep in an accordion folder that accommodates 11 by 14 size papers.  I file to the back and make sure they are signed and dated by the kiddo artist! The upright files keep grade cards, notes from teachers, art, pictures from birthday parties etc. -  anything that is a fun and fond memory.  I also put church art, prayers and scripture cards in there!
Come summer time we sit and go through the whole year of stuff and again weed out things that aren't still special.  The kids love looking back over a whole year of their lives! This system allows me to detach from some things without worrying that I'm not keeping enough!

When it's time for school to start in August we put everything in a big zipper bag, label it, and stack it in the basement.  Then their little bin is empty for a new year!
I will say that my four year old fills hers to the brim while my 14 year old's is barely full.  Yes the years go by and they don't have hand print art anymore!  Keep those precious memories!! The magazine files also allow me to go back and get school IDs and pictures when needed.  The in-house recycling bin allows us to double check if we need to retrieve something!

Another way I stay organized and create keepsakes is to keep a school memories photo book for each of my kiddos. I think I found these at Hobby Lobby or online somewhere. They are so fun and easy to keep up with. You add the school pic, then answer questions about that year like their best friends, favorite subjects, favorite tv shows, movies and books. There is even a place for them to sign their name! Adorable!!!! Each page is a pocket for that class photo as well as their report cards and some artwork! Capture memories as time passes right before your eyes!!  If you have little ones I highly recommend starting this when they start preschool!

Try any of these suggestions to see if they work for your family!!!! 
XO, Tasha