-->

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Ultimate Goal


© Eric1513 | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos
Pursuing a healthy lifestyle comes in many forms and fashions.  Words like Pilates, Paleo, low-carb, Dukan diet, Cross-Fit, lean protein, Zumba, Superfoods, marathons, 5k, vegan, they all seem to be saturated into our culture these days.  Thankfully, we don’t have to follow every diet fad or exercise trend to pursue a healthy lifestyle.  As a mom of 3 young daughters my days are varied and my schedule just doesn’t fit into a neat and tidy box.  For me, a healthy lifestyle means a balanced approach and we incorporate an active lifestyle into our family activities as much as possible:  bike rides, 5k-10k races, hikes, and various sports. Bottom line; however, is to set a good example for my three daughters.  I am shaping the way they view the beautiful bodies God has blessed them with and modeling for them how to seek His joy in every aspect of life. 

Fellow Mothers Together moms Tasha Cook and Annie Sutton shared on what motivates them to pursue a healthy lifestyle and how they view the connection between their physical and spiritual lives.   


Tasha Cook:  I have a bad back and feel it’s my responsibility to me and my family to be as strong and healthy as possible. I have found that I mostly enjoy exercise in the quiet outdoors.  I love to hear God and see nature and all He’s made.  I mix it up, though: classes, a run, DVD at home, jog stroller... I try not to use the time I have for physical only.  If I have time for my body I need to match that time with my spirit/soul.  My verse has been from Proverbs 31:25.  I want to be that woman: to be strong and courageous, to laugh without fear of my back going out in the future, to carefully watch my household by being healthy and present for my family. 


Annie Sutton:  I competed in my first Fitness Competition one year ago in October.  This last weekend I competed in my 5th.  At first I didn’t really know all the hard work physically, emotionally, and mentally it was going to take to get my body in the shape it needed to be in. I have always loved exercise and this was something I could do for me! I had a goal and I could "press on to that prize" in the end.  
Through the journey I have been on through each competition I feel the Lord tugging on my heart saying "What is the ultimate goal?" The goal for all of us is to know Christ and be more Christ like.  


Like an athlete in training, God wants us to spend time with him, focus on His word, and dedicate ourselves to grow in Him because He is the ultimate prize!
 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us (Philippians 3:14).  To that end, 2 Corinthians 5:20 says “we are Christ's ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us.  We speak for Christ when we plead "Come back to God!" When reading this verse I think wow, we are Christ’s ambassadors!  The Lord is using us to reach people.  What a motivation to be the best we can be physically, emotionally, and spiritually.


- Jena M.