-->

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Building into Tomorrow's Wives and Mothers


Recently I attended a conference, and during one session the presenter quoted some research about the experiences from our youth that shaped our adult faith lives.  Looking around the room, I recognized surprise and shock on many of the faces around me.  The statistic that impacted the crowd the most, probably because it was found to be the biggest faith shaping factor, an adult (other than mom and dad) pouring into and supporting them.  

The shock was lost on me.  For some reason, when I came to know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior just a few short years ago, I recognized and even grieved that my teenage self hadn’t known the Lord.  Almost instantly, I was convinced that if someone near me had been modelling a faith filled life, been loving on me, and sharing the Good News, then I wouldn’t have struggled with depression, my identity, and peer pressure so much.  

I felt so convicted of this fact, that it ignited a fiery passion deep in my heart for the youth today.  It isn't lost on me that my oldest son is embarking on this stage of life also.  Due to our heavy involvement in Boy Scouts, I have already witnessed the power of a man, other than his father, speaking into his life.  I felt the call to be that other woman speaking into the lives of tomorrow’s wives and mothers.  

For the last 3+ years, I’ve walked alongside a core group of 10 young ladies.  Honored to have watched them grow in every facet of their being, I've helped them navigate many questions and circumstances over the years.  I love them; they are family to me, and I to them, family God has provided for us.  Yes, it’s hard to see them struggle with who they are and who God is calling them to be, but because of the investment I’ve made, they trust me to speak into those places.  

The shock, to me, is that people overlook this age group.  Everyone enjoys loving on the infants and toddlers, or maybe singing and dancing with the preschoolers and elementary age kiddos, but the hormone enraged tweens and teens?!?!  People wonder what exactly can they do with them?  Let me tell you!  Being the only girl in my nuclear family, I have enjoyed an annual sleepover, painting nails, watching girly movies, and many many hours of great conversations that have brought me much laughter and a few sweet tears.  It never ceases to amaze me that this group of teenage girls actually wants to hang out with thirtysomething me!  It’s fun, often heartbreakingly sweet and vulnerable, and proven to be life changing for us all.

I am blessed to be in this stage of life that allows me to have the time to invest in them and when many do not have the same opportunity.  My hope is that my story would inspire us all to encourage these types of relationships for our own children and to anxiously await the call to be this person to a teenager in the future.  
- Nanette H.