-->

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Covenant Prayer

The Wesleyan Covenant Prayer
Last week, our family meandered the trails behind Deanna Rose Farmstead to visit the mysterious fairy houses sprouting up among the trees. To the east of Switzer, a fairy house boasts a mailbox where kids leave messages that the fairy, R.T., dutifully answers back. To the west of Switzer are two more fairy homes. When we explored the second to the west (just past the bridge and behind the golf course), we opened the tiny red door to discover a basket inside with the fairy's favorite prayer on an emerald green card. It just happened to be my favorite prayer too, and the one I say everyday. The kids were delighted as together we knelt down mid-walk, and read these words aloud:

I am no longer my own, but thine
Put me to what thou wilt
Rank me with whom thou wilt
Put me to doing; put me to suffering
Let me be employed by thee, or laid aside for thee
Exalted for thee, or brought low for thee
Let me be full, let me be empty
Let me have all things, let me have nothing
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal
And now, O glorious and blessed God
Father, Son and Holy Spirit
Thou art mine, and I am thine
So be it
And the covenant which I have made on earth
Let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.


I should have guessed that this mysterious sprite bringing such joy and wonder to the children of Overland Park loved our God, too.

-Wendy Connelly