-->

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Walking Prayer

Photo by hotblack from stock.xchng

18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 
Deuteronomy 11:18-19
The walk to school is short one.  We only live a block from our elementary school.  But over the years, I’ve come to realize that those five minutes with my boys can be a time that God can use in our lives.  I have those five minutes between the frantic morning route and releasing them into our neighborhood school to pray with them.
Pray and walk.  Talk and pray.  My prayers aren’t long and if you were watching us as we walk up the hill, you most likely wouldn’t even know that we were talking to our Heavenly Father.  We don’t bow our heads and we never stop moving forward.  However, God says in Deuteronomy ”to teach our children as we walk along the road”, so that is what we do.  And, now that I drive my middle schooler, we pray and drive too.  You can thank me later for not bowing my head or closing my eyes.  We just talk to God and invite him into our day.
Here is what I pray:
Father, be with us today.  Help us to love those around us as You love us.  Build into us the fruit of your Spirit:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and self control.  Be with the teachers and principal and help them do their best.  Use us today to be your hands and feet in this world.
This leads to other conversations too. I find that by quieting our hearts in the morning, the boys open up their thoughts to me so that I can pray for them and continue to raise them into the young men that God designed them to be. 
So together we walk: God, the boys and me.
- Liz S.