-->

Monday, January 13, 2014

In Him

 

You can see it in the glisten of a child’s innocent eye. The flicker of a candle flame.  Capture its beauty in the embrace of loved ones. In the tears of laughter. Observe its wonder in the miracle of a child being born. In the power of the sunrise and sunset. Marvel its existence in a dream. Experience its heartfelt longing for something more. Something different. Something new. 

HOPE.

And amidst its beauty and amazement hope seems so fleeting. Like grasping for that French fry that falls down the side of your seat in your car as you’re driving. Within the mundane of routines and monotony of laundry, phone calls, emails, paperwork, and even brushing your teeth, hope seems detached. Amongst the grind of fixing meals and boo boos, changing diapers, doing homework, sitting in the car line at school, and in attending lessons and sports practices hope seems aloof. And in the depths of anger, cancer, unforgiveness, crime, losing a job, addiction, rejection, and death hope seems illusory. Nonexistent. Absent. Lost. A deception of all that was desired. Dreamed about. Endeavored. Prayed for.  A rejection of all we should have. All that could be. 

HOPE.

The dictionary defines it as the “state which promotes the desire of positive outcomes related to events and circumstances in one’s life or in the world at large.” No wonder we feel deceived, rejected, bitter, heartbroken, despair, and lost. Hoping in the outcome of events and circumstances leaves the results up to us. Places the burden upon our performance, accomplishment, motivation, wisdom, preparedness, strength, endurance, ingenuity, resourcefulness…OURSELVES. Not much to hope for there considering we are imperfect and broken. I recall Paul’s statement to the Romans “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” Romans 7:15 And on a more personal note, I witness among people I dearly love the unresolved and unexpressed grief over the death of a child affecting generations beyond his years, the sin of addiction, the unforgiveness of love unattained, and the bitter bleeding hearts locked in pride and buried in shame unwilling to see and unwilling to change. Hope unimagined. A myth. Nonexistent.

That is if I hope in myself. My actions. My words. My behavior. My feelings. Or hope in their actions. Their words. Their behavior. Their feelings. If I rely on my desire, I see no hope. If I trust in my circumstance or situation I discover hope lost. A heart broken over what could be. A deep sadness over the perceived victory of evil. But if I am honest with myself I am really feeling frustrated, discouraged, rejected, irritated and abandoned by hope. Hope displaced.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

 HOPE given. 

“The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.” Lamentations 3:25 

HOPE found. 

“In his name [Jesus] the nations will put their hope.” Matthew 12:22 

HOPE placed.

“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people” Ephesians 1:18

HOPE revealed. 

“…we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.” 1 Timothy 4:10

HOPE explained.

“…in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time…” Titus 1:2

HOPE discovered. Beyond ourselves. Hands open to the living God, who is the Savior of ALL people, releasing hope in our circumstance and events to the One who is all powerful and has authority over all of heaven and earth. To the One who came crashing into this world, leaving His throne in heaven to become a vulnerable baby to lead us back to our true Father. To a life lived fully. To the One who loved us so much He could not forget us nor forsake us and never will. To the One who laid down His life on His own accord to save us. To the One who promises eternal life with Him through Jesus Christ.  To the praise and glory of our God and Father.

HOPE attained. 

You can see HIM in the glisten of a child’s innocent eye. The flicker of a candle flame.  Capture HIS beauty in the embrace of loved ones. In the tears of laughter. Observe HIS wonder in the miracle of a child being born. In the power of the sunrise and sunset. Marvel HIS existence in a dream. Experience HIS heartfelt longing for something more. Something different. Something new. 

By Tami Ingalls
Holy Bible, New International Version