-->

Friday, January 10, 2014

Prayer: Let’s keep each other warm!


Let’s look at some realities for all of us ladies that attend “Mother’s Together.”  There is snow, ice, and freezing cold wind outside!  That’s pretty much ALL we have in common.  Within every walk of life, there are ups and downs, peaks and valleys, and then there are the moments where everything seems to just be mundane, going through the motions. 
Writing about prayer is an honor, and every time I sit down to begin, I have to really wonder what you need to hear.  What you need to hear today, in this moment, in your moment.  Speaking to people who are suffering loss, tragedy, and illness, or celebrating new life, promotions at jobs, and a new house.  Those who have lived in their “new” house for years now, wait for their husbands to come home from their next shift, whether it is in flight for days, weeks, months, years, or hours.  I met a woman a few months ago, who has four children all under the age of four.  Her husband is away at war, fighting for our freedom.  He’s been away for years…and each time she visits, they have a new bundle of joy to welcome into the world.    How bittersweet that must be for her.  To finally be embraced by the love of her life, then to fly home with doctor visits by herself…to the birth and then the care taking of all four children who long for their daddy.  I pray for her a lot.  I have to be honest when I say that I cannot remember her name, but God does.  There are people all around us who need our prayers.  We can relate, because we need them as well.  How can we pray, unless we know what to pray?  The bible says, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.”  Hosea 4:6  

My blog this week holds more questions than answers.  Where are you in your life?  What do you need?  Who can you ask for prayer, and share joys and sorrows with?  Jesus knows what to pray, yes.  It says in Romans 8:34 “…Christ Jesus is at the right hand of God and is also praying for us…” I think that it’s awesome to know that he is praying.  I also think it’s awesome to know that we need each other.  Matthew 18:20, “ Where two or three people meet together in my name, I am there with them.”

When you search the word “Pray” at biblegateway.com, it comes up with 424 results.  I believe that means it’s important, don’t you?  Our prayers are important, but let us take a moment to listen to this scripture that hits home for us in Psalm 35:13, “But when they were sick, I put on black clothes. I made myself low by going without food. My prayers for them weren’t always answered.”


Our prayers aren’t always answered.  But that doesn’t mean we just quit.  Take a moment to sit still and think of moments in your life where there was definitely an answer to prayer.  Write it down, and share it with your table.  Let’s do this together…we need encouragement right now.  It’s cold outside!  

- Jennifer G.