-->

Friday, March 7, 2014

Your Calling is Calling

Photo by topfer via stock.xchg
As I sat with a friend for a cup of coffee this week, I was in awe of her beautiful smile and contagious laughter.  She has gone through more heartache than you can imagine, and here she was laughing with me as I #hashtagged a few words in our conversation.  Something she said struck me, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  She said that we as a people, are messy, and thank God that the church doesn’t mind mess.  If we look through scripture, we can see that through facts, Jesus certainly doesn’t mind mess.  He was born a messy birth, and died a messy death.  He hung out with messy people, that fought over who was better…as Steve Weatherford so awesomely reminded us a few weeks ago.
Have you ever felt like a mess?  I know I have…but that same lovely friend reminded me so humbly in her Facebook status, that she’s “His mess.”  Now, that is some good news of the cross!  It’s the reason we’re here, to realize just that.  We are beautiful, intelligent, powerful, and poised women.  We are positioned to cause the ground to shake.  As Jenae Weinbrenner powerfully pointed us to a beautiful reminder of a few Wednesday’s ago, “Why don’t you act like you’re loved?”  I love that she and her husband say that to each other…what an incredible practice they have.

As we go throughout our weeks, the days and hours in between Mothers Together, it might be the furthest thing from our mind, our calling, that is.  The very thing we’ve been discussing.  I can assure you that your calling is calling, as Shelley Winkler reminded us.  I am thankful for the mighty women who we have had the privilege of hearing their stories in this beautiful Mothers Together season.  These women pioneer a movement here at Heartland, to disciple those who make disciples, who make disciples.   

I have news for you.  These women believe in you, just as Jesus does.  God said that he has plans for us in Jeremiah 29:11.  “For I know what I have planned for you,’ says the Lord. ‘I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope.”

Have you taken the time to think about your passions…that which brings you joy?  Many of us are moms.  In fact, that is a huge calling in and of itself.  God may have more for us…he may have more for you.

I’d like to leave you with is something one of the ladies at my table said last week.  “There may be something HUGE just around the corner,” and she’s right.  Are we willing to venture out as pioneers ourselves?  Are you willing?  
- Jennifer G.