-->

Monday, October 6, 2014

Daughter of a King



For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Galations 3:26

I’m the daughter of a King.

I’ve always hated those t-shirts…with the tiara and slogan “I’m a princess, because my fathers a King”

You all know the shirts.

I’m a girly-girl. I love dresses and glitter and decorating and shopping and accessorizing, heck I even love tiaras. 

But I also have an edge and an inner strength, and something about those shirts has always seemed too frilly. 

I love princesses, but do not want to be one. I want to make messes and paint (border line inappropriate social propaganda). I want to eat cookie dough (from a tube staring at the ceiling fan). I want to have big emotions and take big actions and face the world head on. 

And something about “I’m a princess” screams, “help me down from my carriage!” 

I’m already off the carriage and in the mud.

Last time we were all together Heather Knight and Shelly Winkler talked a lot about how God is our Father and we have a royal lineage. To be honest, when they started I groaned inwardly, thinking “great, I don’t want a pep talk about my royal identity, I’m confident in myself and in Christ”

But then they said something new…. being royalty comes with great responsibility.

If I am royalty then His kingdom is my kingdom & my inheritance. I have an obligation to take responsibility, to take action to better His kingdom on earth; in every large and small way that I can.

To step up and fight against inequality. 
To speak for those without a voice. 
To use my best manners and kind words. 
To be hospitable and welcoming. 
To walk slowly with those who can’t keep pace.
To help others when it’s inconvenient.
To pick up the pieces of garbage instead of walking around them…
To put myself last….

This is my kingdom on earth. I am a princess and I am a constant representative of my King. 


Royalty isn’t about tiaras or carriages or photo ops on social outings. 

In actuality, being a part of God’s royal family can be a royal pain. 

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. 
1 Peter 2:21

   Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. 
Matthew 7:13-14

And you will be hated by all for my name's sake…
Matthew 10:22

We aren’t called to live a plush life full of frivolous comforts. We are obligated to live a life that’s hard and uncomfortable. Jesus never said it’d be easy, He said it’d be worth it. I’ve found that when I begin to get too comfortable God has a way of shaking up my throne. 

I am a princess. It’s a title I don’t deserve, but one I will wear proudly and strive to be worthy of. Being royal doesn’t soften my edge, however it does equip me with royal armor and make me held to a royal standard. 

All who have accepted Christ as their father is royalty. So let us hold each other accountable, with grace for the hard days.  

But ask yourself:

What am I doing to better my Father’s kingdom?

Am I too comfortable?
- Jessi V.


But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 
1 Peter 2:9 (NIV)