-->

Friday, October 3, 2014


The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. 
Genesis 1:2 (NLT)

All passages about water and oceans speak to me – I’m sure in a former life I was a mermaid (and I mean that in the most reverent manner possible).

My soul aches for the tide, and the sand, and the salt water and sea foam, and even the seashells.

But more than anything it’s the undeniable presence of God in the roar and whisper of every crashing wave. 

Something about standing on the shore and feeling the salty mist makes me vulnerable and small – bringing me to my knees (quite literally if He wanted).

I can’t hide from His presence, nor do I want to, I simply soak in as much as possible. I know that when I return home and am no longer sandy and staring into His awe-inspiring creation my soul will start aching. 

I try desperately to cling to the small vulnerable part of me, that’s held captive and breathless as I meet the Spirit of God hovering over the surface of the water.

I’ll make mermaid jokes to my husband, but its not about the water or the sand or the freedom of the sea.


It’s about meeting with God and collapsing into the power of His mighty creation.
- Jessica V.