-->

Sunday, April 20, 2014

He is Our Lamp

I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all been stuck before. And what I mean is that at some point in our lives, we’ve likely felt hopeless, afraid and unsure of our next step. And in a moment like that, regardless of how we arrived there, we have a choice. We can choose life or death. We can choose to follow a path that God has created for us, or we can try to figure life out on our own.

 

If you decide to follow God, it’s a decision that will forever change your life. And the honest truth is that you just don’t decide to follow Him one day. You have to choose Him over and over again, with each step along life’s path, for as long as you live.

 

I’ve often heard Jesus described as being a light at the end of the tunnel. It sounds inspiring and I’m sure whoever said it first, the intention wasn’t likely to cause confusion. But yet it does. It’s confusing because Jesus never promised to be a light at the END of the tunnel. He promised only to illuminate the path in front of us, which inadvertently leaves the rest of the path dark.

 

King David wrote in Psalms 119:105, “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” I believe God specifically chose the word “lamp”. He wanted to make a point based on how a lamp functions. For example, if I were taking a late night stroll through a dark forest, I probably wouldn’t reach for my lamp as I walked out the door. I’d grab my flashlight. I can point a flashlight in front of me and see so much further out than if I was carrying a lamp.

 

The purpose of a flashlight is to reveal what’s coming up, with plenty of time to decide your next move. For example, walking through a dark forest, a flashlight can help one avoid a fallen log, hide from a night animal, or turn a different direction altogether. Obviously, using a flashlight can be tremendously helpful. But that’s not how God intended us to walk with Him.

 

And I guess that’s the point altogether. He doesn’t want us to walk to Him; but rather, He wants us to walk with Him.

 

God wants to be our lamp. A lamp is bright enough to guide your next few steps, but certainly isn’t bright enough to prove that all is safe in the woods. If God showed you how everything in your life would turn out, either it wouldn’t make any sense at the time, or worse, you would never learn to trust in Him. We would never experience the kind of faith that can move mountains as we take steps towards Him.

 

And it may sound scary to move toward God with only a lamp to guide you. But the good news is He is with us. You don’t have to walk down a dark and scary tunnel to His light at the end. He is the light that will travel with us every step of the way. My prayer is that we, as mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, and friends, continue to choose God every day. And know that we don’t have to walk alone. If we choose to follow the one true God, He is with us every step of the way.

- Rebekah H.