-->

Friday, April 4, 2014

Time for EASTER!

Easter is right around the corner so it’s time to get busy doing some crafting!  Even though I’ll be posting one more time before Easter, if you’re like me, you’d like to go ahead and do a few activities now to enjoy them through the next few weeks of the Easter season.  I found some fun, cute, fairly simple Easter crafts you can “whip up” with your children, grandchildren, niece, and nephews.  I hope you enjoy!    
I love that this one can be adapted in so many ways such as big bunnies on big paper for older children, little bunnies on little paper for younger children, estimation skills, patterns using colored marshmallows, symmetry, etc.  You may even have your own creative extension! 
Again, this is a great activity to teach and reinforce patterns, colors, fine motor skills, estimation, etc.  

A few alternatives to traditional egg dying
I must confess, I have yet to try any of these, but I will and let you know how they turn out!
Rubber Band (or sticker) Easter Eggs
Simply place rubber bands around the eggs in different ways before dying.  The same can be done with stickers as well.
I want to try this one with my own children, but instead of using powdered tempera, I thought about just trying food coloring.  It may not work as well or the color might not be as bright…I’ll let you know!  You can also make your own “powdered tempera” by simply crushing up sidewalk chalk.  Put one color of chalk per zippered baggie and hammer or smash away until you have a fine powder.  This would be much more economical since sidewalk chalk is so inexpensive!
And the hum dinger activity for my post…Paint filled eggs!  See this blog (http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2013/10/paint-filled-eggs-on-canvas.html) for the instructions on how to do it.  I figured with all these eggs around, why not try it?!  I mean, how much fun would you and your kids have and how awesome would the artwork look after?!  
If I am totally honest though, I saw this idea a while ago and thought it looked WAAAAAY fun and cool.  Then I read about it.  And I deleted the idea from my mind.  Until now.  I still really want to try it with my kids.  SO, while I have committed myself to trying some of the above activities for you all, I don’t know that I can fully commit to this one…yet, but stay tuned!  If anyone tries it, or has tried it, please let me know what you think!  
That’s all ladies!  I hope you can find one activity to challenge yourself and your children with these next two weeks until we meet again!  Happy crafting! ☺
Julie