-->

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Doing the Dailies

There’s a phrase I like to use to describe the endless tasks many of us carry out on a daily basis.  It’s called “doing the dailies”.  Friends call just to find out how my day is unfolding and my reply is often, “just doing the dailies”.  They get it. I’m sure you do too.  I don’t have to go into details about my piles of laundry, awaiting dishes, full trash cans, scrub-worthy toilets, bills, paperwork, phone calls, work outs, appointments, meal preparations, etc. for you or them to get what “dailies” I’m referring to.   They’re the seemingly small, repetitive tasks that fill a lifetime.
It’s in these duties that I tend to lose my focus, my center.  My vision blurs among the repeating tasks and my mood swings with the length of my to-do list.  Why is it that I, who should know better, cannot shake the feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness when it comes to conquering the small things, the dailies?  Shouldn’t this be the easy part?  How can someone who has experienced real loss fret over dirty dishes in the sink and wet towels on the floor? God, why can’t I get this right?
Then I am reminded how God views our weaknesses,

“Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:8-9

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15

It’s not about how I can conquer anything, large or small.  It’s how I can surrender it to the One who already sees my prideful attempts at perfection for what they are, and turn them into righteous acts of gratitude for what He has done for me.  In my weakness His power is made perfect.  Christ’s grace is sufficient.  Even when I...yes. Even where there’s...yes. Even though I can’t...most definitely.

“Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God,” 2 Corinthians 3:4-6

God, I feel like a child who can’t grasp the fact that I can’t do everything by myself. My fits aren’t on the floor kicking and screaming but they play out in cutting words, ignored feelings, hurried days, and frustration.  Forgive my pride.  Forgive my arrogance.  Forgive my self-centered approach to the significant tasks that bring peace to my family and me. Come into my mess and teach me how to surrender and turn over every hint of weakness so your strength may abound in me.    I ask all this in the name of your Son, and as your daughter in Christ.  Amen.

Jena Meyerpeter